Unemployment rate drops to 8 percent | News
ATLANTA -- Metro Atlanta's jobless rate has dropped to 8 percent.
The November number continues a downward trend in metro Atlanta's unemployment figures. The rate is down from 8.2 percent in October and 8.9 percent a year ago.
Gwinnett County's rate was 7.1 percent in November.
RELATED | Ga. unemployment hits 4-year low
The Georgia Department of Labor released the new numbers early Thursday.
State labor officials say the rate declined because of job growth and fewer new layoffs, as indicated by first-time claims for unemployment insurance benefits.
Upcoming Events near Duluth
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Suwanee Performing Arts' 2014 Broadway in the Park production
- Self-serve beer machines have humble beginnings in Suwanee, GA
- Salude bringing 70 jobs to Suwanee
- Veteran going through hard times gets a new home
- Firefighters freed a woman who got trapped after a tractor-trailer rolled on top of her vehicle.