(WXIA) -- The Georgia Department of Transportation has a surprise for drivers who plan to visit Atlanta over the Labor Day weekend.
All construction-related road closures in metro Atlanta will be suspended from Friday at noon to Tuesday at 9 a.m. GDOT said while some long-term closures may remain in place for safety reasons, no new ones will be added unless there is an emergency.
Traffic is expected to be heavy throughout the area, thanks to a number of major Labor Day events:
* Dragon Con
* AJC Decatur Book Festival
* Black Gay Pride
* Oral-B USA 500 (Atlanta Motor Speedway)
* Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game (Georgia Dome)
* Braves v. Marlins/Phillies (Turner Field)
* Celebrate Freedom (Marietta)